Our vision is for Community Shares to be a fund for social change groups throughout the State of Tennessee.
- Community Shares is a federation of Tennessee based non-profits who have joined together to raise money cooperatively.
- Community Shares was organized in April, 1985 by four East Tennessee groups, in an effort to increase their revenues from individuals and lessen their dependence upon foundation grants.
- The membership has grown each year to include non-profits across the state.
- Community Shares has 501 (C)(3) tax status which means donors to Community Shares can deduct their contribution on their federal income tax form.
- With Community Shares you are part of a track record of remarkable results.
GIFTS TO COMMUNITY SHARES HAVE HELPED
- Assist over a quarter of a million women and children involved in domestic violence situations
- Provide housing, food and support groups to 8000 people affected by HIV/AIDS and educate 30,000 people about the causes and effects of AIDS.
- Introduce the art, music, theater, and dance traditions of various cultures to over 100,000 children.
- Educate over 13,000 children and adults about the humane treatment of animals.
- Recycle 5 million pounds of paper, saving the equivalent of over half a million trees.
- Clean 8000 miles of Tennessee Streams and Rivers.